Friday, March 11, 2011

Project Park: Hazel McFarland Park

So, this spring me and Aiden have a mission. We are going to visit as many parks in Folsom as we can (and maybe a couple close ones in EDH) and find our favorite. During "Project Park" I will take pictures of them and in my very picky way, review them all. Maybe you can find a favorite park, too ;)

Today, we went to our first, Hazel McFarland Park. Right around the corner from my house. It is on East Natoma Street by empire ranch golf course, next to a grade school. It had several baseball fields, picnic area, big kid and little kid play structures, and has no water feature (I am not listing this as a pro or con, because I don't always want there to be one).
Picnic area, ball fields behind and above it
Along the playground was an obstacle area with rubberized a floor
The toddler play structure
Big kid playground
Aiden crawling across the toddler area...

PRO'S:
  • Less than 5 minutes drive from my house
  • Good for small kids, "toddlertown" has close to the ground toys with a wall high enough for small kids not to be able to climb that keeps them corralled inside ;)
  • I like that the big kid and little kid play structures were so separated, that might be a con for people with multiple children of different ages
  • Indoor, flushing bathrooms
  • Multiple baseball fields = more chance that one will actually be open
  • Minimal SFAHMs (snotty Folsom stay at home moms...lol)!
  • Baby swings
  • Clean, no trash laying around for Aiden to pick up
  • Pretty open area, not crowded (at 11:30 on a Wednesday at least), the big kid structure was a bit busier though.
  • Playground is not close to the busy street - it is close to the parking lot though

CONS:
  • Real wood chips on the playground areas - Aiden loves this, I think they get in his shoes and get him dirty and give him slivers.
  • No flat area to set down a blanket and make a "home base"
  • No sandbox
  • Pretty small picnic/covered party area
  • I imagine it gets pretty packed around the time the school lets out - both with older kids and the cars of parents using it as a pick up place.
  • The different heights of the big kid and little kid areas make it too easy for the big kids to stand on the ledge and throw things into the little kid area. Aiden was just inches away from being hit with a rock. At the same time, I am thinking if Aiden wanted to play in the big kid area I would probably have to watch that ledge constantly so he didn't fall off.
  • No mature trees and not enough of them, which would be a problem in the summertime.
  • Nothing covering the play areas (trees or structures of any kind) - no shade in the summer, no rain coverage in the winter. I like parks that at least have some covered areas, even if it is small.

What Aiden thought:
He liked throwing the bark on the slides. Yes, he is one of "those kids" that get the slides all dirty. He liked all the pathways to cruise around on and the high wall in the toddler area to walk along. Still not a fan of baby swings, although this time he actually got in one before screaming. He didn't like that the toddler slides were so short, Aiden likes the longer ones ;)



Overall, this was a good park to go to when it is not too hot since it was close by, but I don't think will end up being our favorite.

No comments: