He loved this activity. I put him in a big bin and added 2 bags of cheap mixed dried beans. It gave him exposure to a new texture, made him look for buried objects (cars) and picking up the beans one at a time was good work on his fine motor skills - all why he was just happily playing. He had a great time scooping, tossing and kicking the beans around. He put them into a smaller bowl and took them back out, plowed his cars through them and just dug around in them. I turned on some music and he stayed in the bin playing for over an hour. I had to take him out when he decided it was fun to throw the beans all over the living room. Oh, well, we got some good play in before he figured that little trick out!
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Beany Baby
Aiden has shown some signs of having a few sensory issues going on lately. Which is probably to be expected given his difficult start and all the things he has had to go through. I have done a lot of research on Sensory Processing Disorder lately, and some of the things he is doing fall right in line with the symptoms of SPD, which is usually diagnosed in school aged children. He has not been diagnosed with anything, but I see some things that do concern me and I want to do what I can for him now, before he gets into school. Mostly the things I notice are on the auditory and tactile (problems with certain textures) level. In my research I have also found some great playtime activities to do to help him with some of those sensory issues.
He loved this activity. I put him in a big bin and added 2 bags of cheap mixed dried beans. It gave him exposure to a new texture, made him look for buried objects (cars) and picking up the beans one at a time was good work on his fine motor skills - all why he was just happily playing. He had a great time scooping, tossing and kicking the beans around. He put them into a smaller bowl and took them back out, plowed his cars through them and just dug around in them. I turned on some music and he stayed in the bin playing for over an hour. I had to take him out when he decided it was fun to throw the beans all over the living room. Oh, well, we got some good play in before he figured that little trick out!
He loved this activity. I put him in a big bin and added 2 bags of cheap mixed dried beans. It gave him exposure to a new texture, made him look for buried objects (cars) and picking up the beans one at a time was good work on his fine motor skills - all why he was just happily playing. He had a great time scooping, tossing and kicking the beans around. He put them into a smaller bowl and took them back out, plowed his cars through them and just dug around in them. I turned on some music and he stayed in the bin playing for over an hour. I had to take him out when he decided it was fun to throw the beans all over the living room. Oh, well, we got some good play in before he figured that little trick out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment