Friday, January 2, 2009

Not quite how we wanted to start the new year

Well, our little man has some more tummy problems going on. A couple days ago Jeremy noticed that Aiden's stomach looked big - like he swallowed a softball. The nurse and doctor examined him and decided to order an x-ray, which came back normal. The nurse checked his feeding tube for residual milk and found quite a bit and some air also. They continued his feeds since nothing was showing up abnormally on his x-ray. The night nurse found even more residual milk last night so they decided to run some blood tests and take another x-ray this morning - both came back normal also but, the doctor decided to stop his feeds until his belly was not swollen anymore. So he is back on TPN (the IV nutrition) and can't start the steroids to get him off the ventilator until they figure out if something is going on. Yesterday his belly was still swollen and has a blue/purple tint to it again (the same thing happened before his surgery), he is also had some green residual milk coming up - which is not a good sign and also happened right before his surgery.

Today they repeated his labs and x-rays and both still came back normal, the doctors don't know what, if anything, is going on and started his feedings again at 2.5 mls/hr and kept him on his TPN and they will watch him carefully - at 4pm they checked and he didn't have any residual milk (green or otherwise), his tummy was not as swollen and he was pooping just fine. We are still concerned, especially since he is having the same issues that caused an emergency surgery a month ago - and I hate having to "wait and see". We were also really looking forward to seeing him without an IV, seeing what the steroids would do and possibly see him off the ventilator and now that all has to wait for a little longer.

On the brighter side, he did great through his eye exam the other day and doesn't have any issues at this point, they will keep re-checking him every few weeks as issues can occur at any time until he is around term.

Today I got to do his cares - it is pretty funny when changing a diaper and getting eye goobers out of your kid can actually make your day absolutely wonderful! It's one of the few times I get to touch my baby and pick him up - even if it is just for a minute :)


Taking his temperature

Moving him onto his other side


"Brushing his teeth" (cleaning the inside of his mouth and around the tube with antibacterial gel)


Giving him kisses :)

-Holly

P.S. I usually have Jeremy crop the pictures so you can't see his little ostomy bag, but you know what??? He has a poop bag, and I'm OK with that :)

4 comments:

Sara said...

He is so sweet, Holly. I can't wait until you can hold him and be with him all the time. You guys are so strong, it's amazing. I hope he get's better soon.

Lisa said...

I hope his tummy gets better really soon so they can start his steroids and get him off the vent so you guys can hold him again. Hang in there. This is just a little bump in the road.

Karyn said...

Our prayers are with you all!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing pictures of you taking care of your sweet baby! I can't wait for you to hold him again. I am dying to see him!