Thursday, January 15, 2009

Making good progress

Aiden has continued to surprise his doctors and the respiratory therapists, yesterday he was moved to the CPAP that does not give breaths to him but just keeps a steady low pressure going into his lungs and he continued to do well on that. So, today they began cycling him to the high flow nasal cannula, which is oxygen only so he is doing all the breathing himself. His doctor didn't want to change him over to the cannula completely to make sure his lungs don't collapse. So for now he does 6 hours on the CPAP and 6 hours on the cannula. He went through his first cycle today perfectly. I think the cannula is more comfortable for him and we like it better since you can actually see his whole face, so I am hoping he continues to do well on it and can be moved to it only very soon.

Peeking into Aiden's incubator

He is still doing good with his feeds and is up to 8.5 mls/hr. He has still been hovering around the 3 lb. mark - tonight he was 2 lbs. 15 oz. He has lost a little weight during his transition off the ventilator, he has been much more active and is using more calories moving around and stretching out and his doctor is not worried about it. We are also getting to hold him alot more now and I was told today that we can hold him as long as we want :)

Momma holding Aiden with just the nasal cannula on him

We have been so encouraged by his progress we have finally started getting his room together, we stayed up late the other night and painted. Blue, of course. We are going to put up crown molding next weekend then all we will need to do is find some furniture and I can start decorating...I can't wait for him to come home and use it...oh who am I kidding he will sleep in our bedroom until he is 10 - ha ha!

Jeremy having a good time painting

That's all for now!

~ Holly


4 comments:

Tamara said...

So awesome!!! And you are right...he will be in your bed forever. It is just so precious to have them close. I keep saying ours are moving to their room soon, but I am kidding myself too. So happy for you all.

Lisa said...

I am so happy for you guys. Aiden is such a little fighter and it is all because he knows how much you guys love him.

Sara said...

I LOVE that picture of him in the incubator. He is so cute, and looks like you from the nose up. He reminds me of Chase. Funny thing is, people are going to think that Tanner and Logan are mine, and Chase and Aiden are yours. LOL

Sara said...

Tanner just said "that's my bef friend Aiden"......Logan thought Jeremy was painting his garage.