So, the wall color stayed the same light aqua blue and we headed to Ikea to get some new stuff for him. I decided not to add a bed (since he sleeps with us) and make it more of a playroom. I used a lot of things we already had and decorations from his birthday parties.
Since he loves books so much I made one corner a reading area, using spice racks from Ikea that were $4 each. They are awesome for books, Aiden can see all his options, they are easy to get books in and out of and they hold a good amount. The little chair was from a set that my Grandma Bev had in her house when we were little, I painted it blue last year for his birthday and Modge Podged Aiden's name with scrapbook paper on the back.
We found this little table set at Ikea since my Grandma's table didn't hold up that well - it was in the clearance section because it was a floor model. It had no damage at all and was only $12. Can't beat that! The ABC canvas was a shower gift from Angie, my sisters bestie and the road rug we bought last year for $6. Behind the table is a basket of musical instruments and some blocks - this is his learning, art and music area. By the door is his little kitchen, I bought frames and scrapbook paper to make some artwork for above it, but I am still working on finding the time to do it!
The reading corner is also home to a mattress on the floor with pillows on it to relax, read, and hopefully one day nap on! The pillows were made by me using leftover fabric from his curtains. He loves the little "tent" over it, it makes it cozy and he loves to lay under it. It was left over from his circus birthday last year (but also from Ikea - I think I paid $20 for it). Next to the reading corner is his changing table/dresser. I finally hung up these 2 adorable pictures that I got off Etsy a year and a half ago. And yes, we are using a dump truck as a wipes holder ;)
Above his little table are the pom poms that decorated his first birthday party - I can't get rid of them. I also hung up this little bug mobile that I bought last year when the theme of his birthday was going to be bugs (and then I changed it to circus), it was begging to be used somehow!
The flag bunting above the book shelves is actually my sisters, she lent it to me for a party and I am holding it hostage because it looks so cute! If she wants it back I will just have to make another one ;) The curtain was made by me (with a lot of help from my mom) using $2.50/yard car fabric on clearance at Ikea and then trimmed with some bright yellow chevron print fabric that I got off Etsy for $8/yd.
So that's it, my goals were to make it bright, colorful, with decorations at his height, and most of all really be tailored to the things HE loves and enjoys doing - and of course I wanted it to be affordable. I think it turned out pretty darn cute!
2 comments:
Love the Montessori floor bed! Last month I changed up the girls' bedroom and playroom a little too...like you said it was sort of time, but nothing too "big kid" yet. They got a floor bed in the playroom too and love reading and playing on it. I just wish I started them with floor beds sooner, so their main beds could be this way too.
Super cute, Holly! Love it!
Post a Comment