My tree. I love it. It has evolved since Aiden's arrival. I used to be picky about what went on my tree - if it wasn't red, gold or ivory and glittery, it did not go on my tree. Only white lights, no color.
Now, it is brightly light and filled with meaningful ornaments, old favorites, and new ornaments for Aiden.
These are my favorite ornaments from when I was little. The moon is my absolute favorite, just like it was when I was younger. I spent hours looking at the ballerina and thinking it was me, I thought it looked just like me. The ballerina ALWAYS gets a spot at the top of the tree.
I love the birdhouse with a glittery roof and the year on it - 1979. It always has to be under a red light. I don't know why, but I can't change how it has HAD to be for 30 years. The gingerbread house is the ornament we got for Aiden this year, we get him one each year. This one reminded me of my little 1979 bird house and since this year we started the gingerbread house tradition, it was just the right ornament for him (and it has the year, too).
The little wooden train. It is just so darn cute - the funny thing is that I took this when I moved out "just to fill up my tree", now it is one of my favorites.
The ornament on the left is my hand at 1 year old, the one on the right is Aiden's both made out of salt dough. How cute is it that my Grandma had this on her tree for 30 years, saved my hand print all these years and gave it to me? It is so awesome. She is so awesome.
What do I even say about the superman onsie??? It makes me cry. It was given to Aiden by Grandpa Steve and Grandma Trish when he was born and so, so sick. It hung on his isolette and followed him through every hospital transfer and to his new cribs as he got older. It never left his little corner of the NICU for almost 5 months. It is very special to us.
So many of our ornaments just represent us. The martini shaker and glass for me, the electric guitar and computer for Jeremy.
I love that now the bottom is filled with only "kid friendly" ornaments, ones that Aiden can play with and ones that Sara's boys made us. I love that my fancy beaded tree skirt has been replaced by one that has Santa, Reindeer and Snowmen on it.
Most of all, I love that Aiden loves to stare at the lights and the ornaments. The tree makes him smile. It makes him happy, which makes me happy, which is just why I love the holiday season so much!
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment