Saturday, December 4, 2010

Homemade Christmas

This year I am doing as many homemade gifts as possible, which is making me a very busy girl lately. I kicked off my first sewing project since 5th grade 4-H. The finished projects are turning out so cute and you can totally tell they are homemade since some of the seams are a little crooked - oh well, adds to the charm, right?

My mom lent me her portable sewing machine - how cute is it? A vintage featherweight singer. It makes me feel very creative, and a little old fashioned. Aiden's therapist came yesterday, looked at it and said "'Um, you might get done with your projects quicker if you buy a new sewing machine, that one looks a little old!" 


The interesting thing is that I am using this old sewing machine, but my patterns are online on my laptop, so I have this weird mix of vintage and technology going on. It's kinda funny.



I have several new "best friends". Including the little old instruction manual for the sewing machine (when the bobbin thread ran out, I about had a heart attack about winding it - I did it though, without calling my mom at midnight!), and the cutting mat and rotary cutter - a wise investment, and of course my BFF the seam ripper. Man, do I appreciate that seam ripper!


I stayed up until 2am the other night because I was on a mission to finish my first project. I can't show it to you, or tell you what it is, but it came out soooo cute. I can't wait to give these gifts, because I know that I made them especially for each person. They are very personal to me, much more so than picking something out at the store.


When I was done, I sat there and admired my work, amazed that I just made something and rewarded myself with a nice martini, because even though I am sewing like my mother, I am still drinking like me. Ha ha!


P.S. Mr. Aiden is getting both of his I teeth on top and his 2 year molars on bottom. He has been refusing to sleep until 11pm and waking up around 2am every night and staying up until 4 or 5am before falling back asleep for a couple hours. I have been averaging about 3-4 hours of sleep a night, so the fact that I did not sew my sleeve to any of my projects is truly a Christmas miracle :)

No comments: