Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Celebrating the day

Stay tuned for pictures of Aiden's 3rd birthday party, until then, I wanted to share how we spent his special day :)

Aiden's actual birthday is always a little bittersweet for us. We celebrate the day he was born because we are so happy that he is here with us and truly feel like we have been given an amazing gift - but it was such a tough, traumatic day. Every year it is hard not to think about all the things that were going on that day, all the tears and the worry. It wasn't a typical, happy birth story. It's hard for me to think that the first words I said after my son was born was "Is he alive?". So, we like to keep his actual birthday low key, a time just for the three of us to be together and be grateful for how far we have come since that day.

I took the day off work and made his day special as soon as he woke up in the morning. After he fell asleep the night before I put together one of his gifts - a little train set - and decorated the living room with balloons and confetti. When he woke up and came out into the living room he saw the decorations and the train and immediately smiled and started playing.


After playing for a little while I made him breakfast - cake batter pancakes (yes, made with cake mix and sprinkles)...which he wasn't that into so I made him a breakfast burrito, too.

Then we continued to play all day, watched his favorite show and hung out in his couch fort...



When daddy got home we ate his favorite food, pizza for dinner and opened up the rest of his gifts (all things he picked out of a catalog!)...and played some more.


Then we all climbed in bed and cuddled together with Aiden in the middle of us in bed, just like we usually do. But, that night I held onto Aiden a little bit longer, held on a little tighter and gave him a couple extra kisses before rolling over and going to sleep. It isn't every day that you get to celebrate a miracle.

P.S. Anyone notice the post made on his birthday was done at 5:48am? Did anyone know why I posted at that time? Ha ha!

No comments: