Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wow.

Been feeling a little sorry for myself lately, it's been a difficult few weeks. Then I read this NY Times article, via this blog. I suddenly feel blessed and so much less burdened than I thought I was. My bad days, no matter how difficult I perceive them to be, pale in comparison. And once again I am reminded that no matter what comes our way, we are LUCKY.

This article struck a note with me, re-affirming my desire to ignore the never ending assessments, the missed milestones, the looks and the judgement, the labels, the need to keep up with the other kids on the playground, and the need to pick apart every inconsequential decision I make or have made as a parent. Be grateful for them, appreciate them just as they are today and enjoy every moment with them. It's as simple as that.


"I am a reflection of him and not the other way around, and this is, I believe, as it should be. This is a love story, and like all great love stories, it is a story of loss. Parenting, I’ve come to understand, is about loving my child today. Now. In fact, for any parent, anywhere, that’s all there is." 

Best parenting quote I have read in a long time.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Heartbreaking. Sometimes we need reminders of just how good we have it. Aiden is and always will be our precious miracle.

Lisa said...

I so agree. As soon as I saw you reference to a NY Times Article I knew it would be that one as it also touched me so deeply. Society has gotten so out of hand with the constant judgment and "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Take what the doctors say with a grain of salt and ignore everyone else. They don't know you, your child, or your circumstances. They feel the need to constantly compare their child to yours, or to judge you or your child, to make THEMSELVES feel better. Don't let their search for self esteem affect yours. This is why I pretty much have no desire to join any "mommy" groups. I chose my mommy friends very carefully and therefore only have a very small closenit group of people I talk to about parenting issues. That is exactly how I like it. Ok, off my soapbox now. Just remember that you always do the best that you can for your little miracle boy, and that you and Jeremy love him more than anyone and always try to make him happy. That is all that you can do.