Monday, November 23, 2009

Dear Aiden,

Today you are one year old. I can't believe how fast this year has gone by and I can't believe how far you have come. Sometimes I look back at your first pictures and think "wow, is that the same little boy?" You had such a rough start in life, but you are the happiest baby now. Thinking of your birth is a little hard for us; it was so scary, so hard and so happy all mixed into one. But, today is definitely something to celebrate. In your first few weeks of life we were told several times that you would probably not make it, several times we prepared for the worst and you pulled through it all - strong and determined to come home to your mom and dad. It was so hard to watch you go through all the difficult things you had to go through, and it is such a pleasure now to watch you explore new things, play, laugh and give us kisses. I know our rough journey was so worth it.

In the last year we have watched you learn to breathe on your own, eat on your own, get bigger, learn to sit, stand, and smile. What an honor it has been to be able to help you the whole way. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store, what you will learn and see how your little personality continues to develop. I can't wait to see you grow up to be the big boy we know you will be!

You are our little miracle baby, in so many ways. You have made us so happy and we love you so much. Happy birthday baby boy!

in the little blue hat on November 23, 2008...


and in the little blue hat one year later.


our first family picture...


and our family picture one year later.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I saw that hat picture yesterday, and I thought it was a ball that he was balancing on his head. That is amazing, that his little head fit in to that hat! He's so lucky to have you guys as parents!

Anonymous said...

Holly, that was so sweet and touching.....It brought tears to my eyes. It has been one heck of a year none of us will ever forget. It makes me so happy to see you guys with your own baby. It's my dream come true also :)

Tamara said...

I second the tears to the eyes. Having known you for a long time and seeing your journey unfold, Aiden is a true gift. Thank you for letting us be apart of your lives & Aiden's. Happy Birthday!!!